Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Day 23

We're technically 25% of the way done with PCP. I'm still hanging in there.

I'm realizing that I don't eat enough protein. I stopped eating meat almost 4 years ago after getting E-coli from a burger, so I've been trying to get my protein via fish, shrimp, and tuna. And, really, I'm completely fished out. When I told my boyfriend that I was considering eating meat again -- he looked at me blankly. So yeah, I'm thinking about it. I don't like ground meat. And I can't imagine eating chicken. But everything else is on the table. Any suggestions?

4 comments:

  1. I'm a pescatarian so I'm doing seafood the whole 90 days. I think if you mix it up enough it can work! But yeah, fish and shrimp can get repetitive...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Scallops! They are very "fleshy" and not very fishy. Also octopus/squid, but only if fresh, otherwise too chewy.
    And turkey; sliced turkey, ground turkey...turkey burgers are excellent. Lean, delicious, easy enough to put in anything; tortilla, sandwich, etc.
    I also suggest a variation of my prison chili. You can use ground beef, mixed beef and chicken, whatever. Just change up the ratio of real meat to beans to get more protein.
    You can go for "game-y" meats like lambchops, too. Grill it like a steak, slice and dice, mix it into a salad.
    And don't forget good old-fashioned grass-fed beef. A decent lean steak grilled with a dash of pepper and garlic is damn tasty!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pam, it sounds like you're going to have a tough time eating meat. So, I think you have to get to know it again. I would start with chicken. I know you said, you can't imagine eating it, but you should probably try because you don't sound like a steak person and you don't like ground meat. You're in Chicago, so, find a Whole Foods or a top quality meat market and get some nice juicy chicken breasts. Bake them in the oven and give it a try. You never know, you might just like them. The point is, you're going to have to test your boundaries here a bit. Good luck and let us know how it goes.

    ReplyDelete